Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Greening up Scottsdale, AZ with Public Awareness! ;-)

First, I have to suggest to all of you to pick up the National Geographic EarthPulse 2010 issue in your local grocery store. I grabbed mine last night and couldnt put it down. I read pieces out of it to my four year old little boy and my boyfriend right after dinner. It is wonderfully written and as you know the images from National Geographic are incredible.





Here is the link to the magazine or short essay by Thomas Hayden http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/earthpulse/index.html







The population has nearly quadrupled since 1929 and we are consuming more than the earth can renew...



I asked my little boy to explain Global warming to me which was a treat. I used mommys tires as an example of the toxic chemicals that migrate into the air and combined with other greenhouse gases create little holes and wear away earths comfy blanket. He explained to me that we can take mommys tires back to the tire store and they can put new black tire on top and give to someone else. YAY!!!! He understands reusing and repairing!! I almost cried. :-) I realize that I will may not see these natural disasters but seeing how much I love my little boy and if he loves his kids half as much as I love him I'd never want him to feel helpless like he can't do anything because the damage is already done.






The Magazine touches on some really good points about how right now in our current economic hardships we are cutting down on usage and giving our planet a break. I never thought of that... It also goes over the idea that we will rebuild and we will recover... why not do it wisely, why not do it with our future in mind and the future of those you love. They say you are remembered by what you leave behind. Let's not make it a dirty polluted abused planet. ( Sorry for seeming over the top) I just feel passionate about it.




I contacted the City of Scottsdale yesterday to collect information and obtain a recycling receptable for my office. A very kind gentleman helped me, he familarized me with Wyatt Earth, a cute little crusader cowboy with recycling his only mission :-) The City of Scottsdale is going to bring me some of their overage magnets as they recently started accepting all plastics 1-7 and the magnets he is bringing me do not show that. I will pass these on to my tenants that rent in Scottsdale or purchase something in Scottsdale. I think that the majority of the propblem is public awareness. I had no idea what/how/and where to do things.

Now, I'd like to go over a few remodeling tips (you can even implement these into new builds) and this will offer you a great opportunity to incorporate a holistic approach to conservation, starting in your own backyard...enery and water saving techniques just to name a few. These tips are meant to help you make informed descisions as you plan to remodel your home.


ENERGY:
Lighting - Use CFL lightbulbs. A very wise man explained to me A CFL is not a CFL is not a CFL! This means CFL doesnt mean dim and less effective. There are many upon many of CFL grades. Some are dim some are bright. Come a couple years from now CFL is all you will be able to buy. REMEMBER, CFL contain mercury and you will want to handle them properly and dispose of them in a recycle container easily found at lowes or home depot. Sears will allow you to dispose properly and recycle the long tube flourescents.


Applianes - The cost to use an appliance over its lifetime is a lot higher that the purchasing cost. It makes a good amount of sense, ecomonomically speaking as well to puchase energy efficient appliances. Your fridge is likely the largest energy consumer in the house so consider replacing it if it is old. Look for Energy Star Labels.  Here is a general How to on reading the energy guide label.  Keep in mind there are different labels for each items, windows, appliances, etc.



1. Estimated energy consumption on a scale showing a range for similar models
2. Estimated yearly operating cost based on the national average cost of electricity.


GREAT TO KNOW ABOUT WINDOWS and House Orientation when looking for your buyers or marketing a home!
Windows: South facing windows offer free energy in the summer months, north facing proviude uniform lighting year round. East and West are subject to more intense morning and afternoon sunlight creating heat gain in the home. Consider installing low e double pane windows for at least the E and W windows or consider shade devices such as trees or a screen wall, etc.

Flooring - If you are installing floors take a moment to consider more durable and natural surfaces such as stone, cork, harvested wood certified by the FSC, exposed stained concrete or bamboo. Carpet has allergens and can create an unhealthy indoor environment . Carpet is also warmer in the summer because of the lack of thermal mass. Tile, Stone and Concrete are good keepers of the cool!



WATER:

Landscaping - Try to plant native shrubs and plants as it is well adapted and requires less water and less maitenance. They also need no pesticides, chemicals or herbicides. You can check out the Scottsdale Water Conservation Department resources for rebates, water guidelines and other helpful information.





These ARE all gorgeous and there are many more beautiful native plants.

Appliances and Fixtures - FIX LEAKY FIXTURES, replace faucets and shower heads with low flow aerators, and low flow flush toilets. Choose front loading washing machines that clean better and use less water... no brainer.

Scottsdale Real Estate just got a whole lot better, and healthier!




Kelli J. McHattie
Designated Broker
Legendary Investment Group
7411 E. 6th Avenue Suite 206
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
(480)347.3600 office
(602)670.7809 direct
(480)347.0295 efax

www.legendaryinvestment.com Visit our website, check out our rentals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this?